A picture is worth a thousand words. But sometimes a picture is not enough. When researchers need other tools and techniques to go beyond nanometer scale imaging, these instruments and products for SEM or TEM are the answer. They allow scientists to measure elemental composition or crystallography, probe valence band transitions, count single electrons in EM images or perform in-situ experiments at unprecedented acquisition rates. We list below instrumentation and equipment meant to be added to or work together with an existing electron microscope.
For stand-alone analytical equipment please visit the Elemental Analysis category.
Cathodoluminescence (CL) is the emission of photons of characteristic wavelengths in the visible spectrum which is caused by the interaction of the electron beam with a sample. CL is a powerful structural and compositional analysis technique for materials that can reveal valuable information that cannot be obtained through SE, BSE or EDX. Such information includes zonal composition, lattice structure, superimposed strain or damage to the structure of the material. SEM-based CL imaging achieves much better resolution compared to optical CL microscopes.
NEW Gatan Monarc CL detector dramatically boosts sensitivity and spectral resolution, empowering the most complete CL analysis to date with unique wavelength- and angle-resolved capabilities.
- Gatan ChromaCL2 Live color cathodoluminescence imaging system
- Gatan Vulcan cathodoluminescence (light) collection, detection, and analysis system for the (scanning) transmission electron microscope
- TESCAN panchromatic CL detector in two versions, regular range (350nm to 650 nm) and extended range (185 nm - 850 nm)
- TESCAN rainbow CL detector with simultaneous acquisition of red, green and blue components for live color imaging
Cameras: CCD and direct detection
CCD or CMOS based digital cameras to acquire images in Transmission Electron Microscopy. From entry-level devices to the latest in-situ direct detection technology.
- Gatan K2 direct detection camera with 80% DQE
- Gatan K2 IS highest performance in-situ camera to resolve dynamic details
- Gatan K3 next generation direct detection camera optimized for the most demanding low-dose applications in both life science and materials science
- Gatan OneView 4k x 4k CCD camera
- Gatan Rio CMOS camera with high resolution, speed, and ease of use
Chillers and heat exchangers to cool equipment and keep them at a stable working temperature, to ensure optimal performance and minimize thermal drift.
Electron Energy-Loss Spectrometers (EELS) and Gatan Imaging Filters (GIF)
By measuring the energy lost by the electron beam in its interaction with the sample it is possible to obtain chemical and elemental information with high energy resolution. It is also possible to filter electrons based on their energy loss and thus create an elemental map or improve image quality by removing inelastically scattered electrons.
- Gatan Enfinium dedicated, hard-working spectrometers for EELS experiments
- Gatan GIF Quantum high throughput spectrometers to capture highly detailed data from EELS and EFTEM experiments
- Gatan GIF Quantum LS system with high resolution and contrast for cryo-EM by combining low distortion GIF Quantum optics with a K2 Summit detector
Electron Microscope Analyzers
We offer a unique range of analysis methods for materials characterization on electron microscopes, capable of elemental or crystallographycal analysis.
- Bruker Quantax EBSD Electron BackScatter Diffraction for SEMs
- Bruker Quantax EDS Energy-Dispersive Spectrometry for SEMs or TEMs
- Bruker Quantax Xsense WDS Wavelength-Dispersive Spectrometry for SEMs
- Bruker Quantax XTrace XRF micro-X-Ray Fluorescence for SEMs
- Bruker SkyScan micro-CT attachment for SEMs
- Bruker ESPRIT QUBE software for advanced 3D analysis of EBSD/EDS data
SEM or FIB miscellaneous accessories
The beams in a SEM or FIB are capable of producing a variety of signals (SE, BSE, SI, etc.), which can be acquired by special detectors as listed below. We also list other accessories to help SEMs experiments, such as decontaminators, flood guns, and devices not listed in the other categories.
- Gatan Digiscan II digital beam control and image processing to enhance the photographic quality of digital images
- Gatan OnPoint BSE detector for high speed low kV imaging
- Oxford Instrument Nanomanipulator industry leader since 1995
- TESCAN SmarAct Nanomanipulator for high precision sample handling
- TESCAN Secondary Electron (SE) detectors for SEM: in-chamber and in-beam
- TESCAN BackScattered Electron (BSE) detectors for SEM: retractable and in-beam
- TESCAN Low Vacuum Secondary Electron detectors (LVSTD) for SEM
- TESCAN Electron Beam Induced Current (EBIC) detectors for SEM
- TESCAN Secondary Ions detectors for SEM
- TESCAN Gas Injection Systems for selective etching or beam-induced deposition in FIB
- TESCAN Beam Blanker for sensitive samples or electron beam lithography applications (ask about the lithography package)
- TESCAN Flood Gun to provide charge neutralization during FIB milling
- TESCAN Chamber extension for inspection of large wafers (up to 12 inches)
- TESCAN Active Vibration Isolation System Halcyonics technology integrated directly with the instrument for the best performance
- TESCAN Load Lock for quick sample exchange without the necessity of venting the chamber
- TESCAN Autoloader automated loading system for 24/7 continuous and unattended processing of large sample sets, designed for TIMA-X LM systems
- XEI Evactron In-chamber Decontaminator to obtain a contamination-free environment
SEM or FIB stages, holders and airlocks
Specialty stages add new functionalities to an existing system, such as the ability to cool or heat the sample, mechanical testing, serial block-face imaging, cryogenic capabilities and more.
- Gatan 3View Automated system for sectioning and image capture of 3D ultrastructures using serial block-face imaging in the SEM
- Gatan C-series liquid helium and liquid nitrogen cooling stages
- Gatan Murano and Microtest a range of heating and tensile in-situ stages
- Quorum CoolStage Peltier cooling stage
- Quorum PP3004 QuickLok Ambient Temperature Airlock
- Quorum PP3005 SEMCool Non-Airlock Cooling System
- Quorum PP3006 CoolLok Cryo Transfer system for rapid transfer and cryo temperature observation
- Quorum PP3010T Cryo-SEM Preparation System highly automated, column-mounted, gas-cooled cryo sem preparation and cryo transfer system
- TESCAN Peltier Stage for cooling and heating
- TESCAN Rocking Stage to reduce curtaining in the FIB
We provide software solutions for automation, data handling, analysis, simulation and 3D reconstruction as well as supporting software for special techniques such as correlative microscopy, gun shot residue analysis, lithography, and more.
- Alicona MeX metrology software to retrieve 3D topographical information from SEM images
- Atomic Works simulation, a suite of solvers, ranging from ab-initio quantum mechanics to molecular dynamics and Monte-Carlo methods
- Bruker AMICS software for Advanced Mineral Identification and Characterization Systems
- Bruker ESPRIT QUBE software for advanced 3D analysis of EBSD/EDS data
- TESCAN 3D Tomography for FIB-SEM tomography and the subsequent 3D reconstructions
- Gatan 3D Tomography Acquisition software to acquire tilt series experiments using TEM, STEM, or EFTEM modes
- Gatan 3D Visualization software to explore 3D data with volume rendering, isosurfaces, ortho slices and more
- Gatan HoloWorks enables Fourier optics simulation and simplifies off-axis hologram processing
- Gatan In-Situ Explorer full in-situ control and data handling within Gatan Microscopy Suite software
- Gatan Latitude S for the efficient, high-throughput collection of low-dose, single-particle, cryo-EM datasets
- Gatan Microscopy Suite GMS 3 a software suite to drive digital cameras and surrounding components and to support key applications including tomography, in-situ, spectrum and diffraction imaging
- ORS Dragonfly 3 a software platform for the intuitive inspection of multi-scale multi-modality image data
- TESCAN AutoSlicer for automation of FIB-SEM operations such as serial cross-sectioning and lamellae preparation
- TESCAN CORAL correlative microscopy module for life sciences
- TESCAN DrawBeam for advanced patterning in SEM and FIB-SEM lithographic applications
- TESCAN Synopsys Avalon correlative microscopy module for semiconductor applications
- TESCAN TIMA Mineralogy suite for acquisition, analysis, and quantification of mineralogical data, mineral classification, modal analysis, deportment, MLA, phase recognition and more
- TESCAN Trace GSR GunShot Residue analysis package
Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy is a combination of SEM and TEM in which the beam is raster-scanned over the sample and the transmitted electrons are collected by a detector underneath. It can be used in SEMs or TEMs provided the samples are thin enough. Depending on the collection angle of the transmitted electron, we distinguish between Bright Field (BF), Dark Field (DF) and High Angle Annular Dark Field (HAADF) detectors.
- Gatan Advanced STEM detectors HAADF, annular dark field (ADF) plus bright and dark field (BF/DF) detectors for STEM imaging optimized for EELS
- Gatan STEMpack a powerful method of obtaining detailed analytic data from a sample on an electron microscope equipped with scanning mode
- Gatan STEMx a powerful tool that adds 4D STEM diffraction capabilities to your existing Gatan in-situ camera
- Gatan Vulcan cathodoluminescence (light) collection, detection, and analysis system
- TESCAN STEM detectors for SEM: fixed and retractable
TEM Specimen Holders
Specialty stages add new functionalities to an existing system, such as the ability to cool or heat the sample, to create gas or liquid in-operando environments, to perform high-tilt tomography, to perform electrical, straining, cathodoluminescence measurements and more.
- Gatan Analytical holders optimized for EDS analysis at ambient temperature
- Gatan Anticontaminators minimize contamination in the vicinity of the specimen within the TEM
- Gatan Cooling in-situ holders optimized for low temperature observation of in-situ phase transitions
- Gatan Cryo-transfer holders ideal for low-temperature transfer of frozen-hydrated specimen
- Gatan Heating in-situ holders for direct observation of micro structural phase changes, nucleation, growth, and dissolution processes
- Gatan Multiple Specimen holders to acommodate multiple specimens and increase productivity
- Gatan Straining in-situ holders to quantify microstructural changes in materials due to applied mechanical loading
- Gatan Tomography holders high tilt and dual orientation holders for tomography applications
- Gatan Turbo pumping station vacuum storage of holders and specimens, regeneration of cryo-specimen holders
- Gatan Vacuum Transfer holders to preserve sample integrity with controlled transfer from an inert environment to the TEM
- Gatan Vulcan holder cathodoluminescence (light) collection, detection, and analysis system
This laser-based technology enables researchers to see the dynamics of nanomaterials at fast time scales and with high throughput. These products capture images at the ultrafast time scales that are essential to our understanding of many important nanomaterials, including proteins, drug encapsulation nanoparticles, catalyst nanoparticles, thin films, photonic waveguides, optical metamaterials and semiconductor devices. We believe that by illuminating the dynamics of the nanoscale, our products will drive technological and scientific progress across a host of markets and disciplines.
Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry
Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (ToF-SIMS) is a highly sensitive analytical technique that provides chemical characterization of the surfaces of materials. This is achieved by using a focused ion beam at typical energies of 10-30 keV, which impinges on the surface of the sample and as a result secondary ions (SI) are emitted from the uppermost atomic layers of the specimen. These ions are collected and analyzed by Mass Spectrometry which provides high sensitivity to trace elements, down to parts per million. TESCAN is the only company that offers an integrated system which combines the high-resolution of a FIB-SEM with the high chemical sensitivity of a ToF-SIMS system.